Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A Dinner Experiment

Over the last few months dinner has been less than creative, and my husband might say rather boring.  I have always enjoyed and taken pleasure in experimenting with new dinners.  Some worked (pineapple chicken bake) and some did not (don't even want to mention).  But then I got pregnant, and spent the first sixteen weeks not even wanting to think about or smell food.  My husband was a trooper during that time, and managed dinners himself and did a wonderful job.

I dubbed August "eat through the pantry month" so we didn't do much experimenting.  Now that September is here, we're back to trying a new dish in the bi-weekly dinner plan.  Today's try is Betty Crocker's Taco Beef Bake with Cheddar Biscuit Topping.  You can find the recipe here.

This was pretty simple, I had everything I needed in the pantry except the taco seasoning, and the frozen corn (and no, Dad, it's not because the frozen corn was in the freezer instead of the pantry).

Oh, and of course I have to display my FAVORITE part of the kitchen, my spice rack!

Next: 
  • Brown the meat with my own special seasoning
  • Add the taco spices, corn and salsa


It said to bring to a boil, but there wasn't enough water in the pan to make it boil.  I think it really meant "cook until the frozen corn isn't frozen anymore."




Then what makes it good - the Bisquick and CHEESE!  Mix it all up and heap it on top.  Then bake, but not as long as the directions call for, or it will be burned.


And the outcome...
Hubsters said it was a success!



It was a meal enjoyed.  And simple.  And I managed to time it just right so that it came out of the oven just as Hubsters walked through the door.  Now that's what I call an achievement!

1 comment: