Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Getting Ready for Bopper, Little Bits at a Time

If you haven't figured it out already, Hubsters and I are expecting our first child.  He's a boy.  We call him Bopper.  He should  make his appearance around Christmas.  He's a wonderful gift from the Lord.

Who knew there was so much to do to get ready for a baby.  We cleaned out our guest/junk room and sent a ton of stuff to my parents (or rather, their garage and basement - thanks Mom and Dad!!!).  Hubsters had the room painted and then we decided it would be good to get some furniture.  Do you know how expensive dressers are?!?!?!  Let me tell you, they are expensive, especially when they are for "baby".  Who knew that one little word would allow stores to mark up the prices so much.  Well, we were not going to pay that much, so we turned to good ol' Craigslist, and found these slightly used beauties:




They are in good condition, but the previous owner did a poor job lining them with some really gross contact paper.  I stripped the contact paper off only to reveal sticky residue that didn't want to come up no matter how hard I scrubbed, and/or drawer bottoms in too poor of a condition to use as is.  So, off to Target I went to get new contact paper.  I didn't want anything that looked too girly (Bopper is a boy) or looked like it belonged in the kitchen (no thank you to little ducks).  I ultimately decided on a granite looking paper - only I didn't realize that the shine wasn't the plastic packaging, but the contact paper itself.  Oh well.  Bopper isn't going to care for another five years or so.

So with a little sweat equity, and sitting on the floor, we went from this:




To this:



And you know that saved the day?  Pampered Chef.  Yup, that's right, a kitchen company saved my dresser lining day.  Among the many amazing products they sell are baking stones.  And they also sell little plastic scrapers to clean the baking stones.  I don't use my stone that much anymore, but the plastic scraper still lives in my silverware drawer.  It's small, square, and it looks like this:



And it's perfect for smoothing out bubbles and wrinkles and all sorts of other disasters that come with lining large spaces with sticky paper!  (But not so good with trying to caulk a bathtub, but that's another story).

I still have the shorter dresser to cover, but the lasagna sauce is bubbling away on the stove and almost done (more on that tomorrow), so I should go attend to that.  Oh - and write a thank you note to Jill who loaned me a TON of fall/winter maternity clothes yesterday.

2 comments:

  1. Great work. They are beautiful. See you Friday. Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to hear the caulking story!

    ReplyDelete