The countdown to September 15, 2012 has come and gone! Not only was the 15th my mom’s 23rd
birthday (well, she may be a little older, but who’s counting?) but it was also
the day Hubsters and I, along with my parents, started our family vacation!
Way back in March, Hubsters and I booked our yearly vacation
and invited my parents to come along.
Our destination this year…the Grand Canyon! Neither my parents nor I have ever been, and
Hubsters went when he was 8 years old, so I don’t really count that. We thought it would be nice to see another
part of our country’s vast landscape.
We decided to fly to Las Vegas and then drive to Williams,
Arizona where we rented a great house for the week. I should have known that the vacation was
going to be a good one when the stewardess on our flight out west put her hand
on my stomach, told me she was a psychic and that I would be having a little
girl. When I told her that we were
actually having a little boy, she looked very puzzled and said she thought the
doctors were wrong. She also said that
little Bopper was going to have blonde hair. I didn’t think that was too difficult for her
to guess as she had been giving me cups of water every 20 minutes during our 4
hour flight and I was sitting next to my naturally blonde-haired husband.
Las Vegas was hot. As
in 100 degree shot. Yuck. Thankfully we only spent the night there
which included a birthday dinner for my mom at the Cheesecake Factory before we
drove to Arizona, which started with a visit to the Hoover Dam!
The Hoover Dam is amazing.
Run by the Bureau of Reclamation under the Department of the Interior,
the Dam is economically self-sufficient as it is funded through the power it
sells. The massive scale of the Dam is
hard to imagine, one has to see it to believe it. We started out with a tour of the innards.
Then we spent some time wandering around, going through the
museum, and taking pictures.
Oh, and did I mention that it was hot? And that my dad makes me laugh?
And for your viewing pleasure…a very amateur video, shot by
yours truly.
(Note, the commentary in the background just happened to be playing over the loud speakers and does not necessarily match up with the video)
And did I mention that the night
sky was amazing? I mean, AMAZING. AMAZING!
I’ve never seen stars like that.
We ended up doing two days at the Grand Canyon. It was beautiful both days we were there. We took the shuttle bus, talked with a ranger,
walked a trail, drank some authentic free Grand Canyon water, took in an IMAX
film, and got a little sunburned. It was
wonderful. A once in a life time
opportunity. Here are some pictures for
your viewing pleasure.
We also spent a day in Flagstaff looking at a large hole
created by a meteor.
That evening we went to the Lowell Observatory after a great
steak dinner. The observatory was one of
my favorite side trips. We were there at
night so we didn’t get any pictures, but they had telescopes set up all over
the campus for visitors to look at the night sky. We saw the moon, a little constellation affectionately
nicknamed Wall-e that looked like the little robot from the Disney movie, and
then a cluster of stars called M-15 which is not visible to the naked eye. Here is a link to some pictures so
you know what I’m talking about. It was amazing to look into the night sky and
take in the handiwork of God – to see His creation.
That about wrapped up the vacation, and on Friday we made
our way back to Las Vegas. But you can’t
go to Vegas without at least taking a drive down the famous Strip. Dad was very kind and drove slowly down the Strip so that Mom and Hubsters could get some pics.
And Bopper enjoyed the vacation too!








i always seem to be reading your blog while holding a sleeping baby and I ALWAYS laugh out loud at a least 1 point and wake her up :).
ReplyDeletethis time...it was the bunny
I'm glad you had a great trip!
I enjoyed this, Jenn! I hoped you guys had a great time. Sounds like it was fun! :)
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed this, Jenn! I hoped you guys had a great time. Sounds like it was fun! :)
ReplyDeleteGreat post. I saw the wolf, bobcat, two bunnies and the woodpecker. I joked that Peter Cottontail came every day to visit baby Bopper and Woody the Woodpecker came one day.
ReplyDeleteJenn and I had a great time, hope hubsters did too. Jenn and I can get a little crazy together, and hubbies just smile and scratch their heads.